Our safari adventure started in Johannesburg but we didn’t get to see much of the city. We arrived late in the afternoon and by the time we had checked into the hotel, freshed up, gone for a quick dip in the pool and subsequently had to refreshen up again, it was night time so we headed out into town, gorged on so much food (like seriously, I can put it away but even I was defeated on this occasion).

We didn’t really get to see much of Johannesburg as we drove to Sandton straight from the airport and drove right back out the next day to fly into Kruger National Park where we would be going on safari all week!

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (1)

The flight was fairly short – just a little under an hour and before long, we said goodbye to the gridded suburbs of Johannesburg and said hello to the open fields/savannah that is Kruger National Park.

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (2)

If you squint real hard at the photo below, you’ll see Zebras in the corner. (Lloyd say elephants at a watering hole from his side).

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (3)

We arrived before our luggage (long story but I’ll have to tell that one later) but I honestly didn’t even care – I was too excited. Plus, I kept all the stuff that mattered in my hand luggage so once we informed that our bags would arrive on the next flight, we headed off to our resort with one of the rangers who’d been with us the whole time.

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (4)

Best part of waiting to find your luggage? Everyone else’s had gone with the other rangers so Lloyd and I had the jeep to ourselves!

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (5)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (6)

So, I was expecting a quiet and uneventful transfer to the hotel where my plans were just to have lunch (and a lot of South African wine) before our evening safari ride…

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (7)

…turns out, an airport transfer here is not like one anywhere else!

The animals were everywhere and I can not tell you how much gibberish I muttered while hurriedly trying to find my camera! I’m pretty sure I wasn’t even speaking English after a while and just squawking in excitement!

The zebras were the first to say hi…

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (8)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (9)

… followed by some impala.

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (10)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (11)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (12)

Even Pumba stopped to say a quick hello before darting off with a grunt to go find more bugs for lunch… (Warthogs eat bugs right? Is it bad that all I know about them is from Lion King?)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (13)

The wildebeest stormed past in a hurry but with no destination in particular…

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (14)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (15)

…and those plains – such a magnificent blend of blues, browns and greens! (Excitement levels were already through the roof by this point).

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (16)

And then we saw our very first wild giraffe! This was it – we were on safari!

FYI, I’m aware how silly that sounds, like I didn’t know we were going on safari all this while but honestly, sometimes with every vacation/tripย you take – especially with ones you’ve been planning for a while, there’s always that one moment that signifies the start of your travel… (e.g. seeing the Eiffel tower in Paris for the first time). This was definitely it for me! This was almost magical!

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (17)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (18)

… obviously, the giraffe didn’t feel the same way.

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (19)

As we made our way to the resorts, all plans to relax just disappeared. I was thinking a nap by the pool in a wine-drenched state would have been atop of my list but with all the excitement and adrenaline, that would definitely not be happening!

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (20)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (21)

Arriving On Safari In South Africa... (Definitely Not Your Average Airport Transfer!) (22)

…by the time we arrived at the hotel, I’d even forgotten all about the luggage that hadn’t arrived! There were too many elephants, rhinos, lions, cheetahs, zebras and giraffes to be seen (and too much South African wine to drink) to be worried about where in the world my clothes and luggage were. ๐Ÿ™‚

You May Also Like

21 comments

OMG would love to do this!

Kisses from http://poshnessary.com โค

HandLuggageOnly

It really was an amazing experience that we loved! It felt so surreal! ๐Ÿ™‚

xx

Omygod, this is so amazing! A friend of mine went to the Kruger park too and she even cuddled with some tiger welps. I hope you can get that experience too! I’m so jealous right now as it rains here days after days ๐Ÿ™

HandLuggageOnly

Kruger is such an amazing place Ariane. We saw so much and had such an amazing time seeing all the wildlife. It was magical! ๐Ÿ™‚

xx

How exciting! I would die when I saw the giraffe, too!
Will you post some information on the company you are going with later? I’m planning on an African Safari for February/March 2017, and currently there are so many options I don’t know where to start! ๐Ÿ™‚

— LisaLDN.com

HandLuggageOnly

Absolutely, we’ll definitely get the information up soon. Obviously send us a little message at any point Lisa – happy to help whenever we can.

March is such a great time of the year to visit! Are you thinking of South Africa generally or other countries too?

xx

Thanks so much, I think I will message you at one point! ๐Ÿ™‚

We have actually been looking at Tanzania and the Kilimanjaro area, but since it isn’t booked yet and we haven’t decided on a tour company – nothing is set in stone! ๐Ÿ™‚ Taking in all the advice and ideas I can! ๐Ÿ™‚

Seeing the animals in the wild for the first time is literally the most incredible thing I’ve ever experienced!
Lots of love,
Angie

SilverSpoon London

HandLuggageOnly

Exactly! It feels so surreal doesn’t it Angie. x

These are gorgeous! I hope we go to South Africa this year!

HandLuggageOnly

Are you planning a trip Julie? South Africa is gorgeous… there are so many places I still want to discover. Such a unique country

xx

Wow, this was quite the airport transfer, huh?! I can’t even imagine how exciting and beautiful this experience was! I have been dying to go to South Africa for quite some time now. Going on safari would be an absolute dream. I love your photos! Thanks for sharing!

HandLuggageOnly

Thanks so much! It really was a surreal experience. It was so surreal, it was one of those moments where we just wanted to rub our eyes (cartoon style)… it was hard to believe they were in front of us. Thanks you for such a lovely comment Maddy and Mauricio. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lloyd & Yaya xx

Sounds like a great beginning of a trip! It’s really nice to see people experience this for the first time- makes me not take for granted growing up in East Africa ๐Ÿ™‚ Embarrased to say though, I’m at uni in SA and haven’t been to Kruger yet (!). I’ll make it happen soon ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

Frame Ambition by Julie O

HandLuggageOnly

Ah! Growing up in East Africa must have been amazing! What a wonderful place to explore. Did you get to travel much? Now’s your opportunity to hop over to Kruger, especially if your in beautiful SA.

Ps – if your going, please take us with you… we’re already missing it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yaya xx

I did and still do travel around home as much as possible ๐Ÿ™‚ and I’ll definitely blog and vlog Kruger when it happens! ๐Ÿ˜€ x

HandLuggageOnly

Yay! Can’t wait to see them Julie! ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

Im hoping the do South Africa this year. Doing a safari and seeing those amazing animals in the wild must be such an amazing experience.

Leonie โ™ฅ Lo On The Go

HandLuggageOnly

That’s exactly out thoughts last year Leonie… we literally planned this for ages – it was so exciting and honestly you won’t be let down when you get there. It’s so breathtaking!

Yaya xx

Gorgeous photos and great story telling! I went to the Singita Boulders Lodge and it was also incredible! Next on my bucket list is a safari in the Serengeti!

HandLuggageOnly

Ah! Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Safari in the Serengeti. Yas!!! That’s amazing isn’t it! So glad you had an amazing time too!

Lloyd & Yaya xx