Suffice to say, after the very long night’s sleep we had in Cusco, getting up at 5.30am to catch our train to Machu Picchu was pretty easy!

We excitedly chucked our stuff into the suitcases (which we actually left at the hotel because; a.) We would be coming back to the hotel in a couple of days; and b.) We couldn’t take any big luggage on the trains) and hopped into a taxi (fairly cheap if you get your hotel to book for you and only takes about 30 minutes) to Poroy.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (1)

Now the village that is pretty much your entry point to Machu Picchu is called Machupicchu (no space in between the words) or Aguas Calientes and it’s not recommended that you catch the train on the same day that you plan on visiting Machu Picchu.

For starters, the journey is about 3.5 hours and then there’s the fact that there’s usually a queue for the bus to Machu Picchu (or a good 1.5 – 2 hours hike, if you decide to do it by foot) so it’s likely you won’t be able to make the most of Machu Picchu even if you got to visit on the same day you arrived.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (4)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (5)

We had our visit planned for the next morning (with a hike up Huayna Picchu at 7am) so we hopped aboard our train with no time pressure whatsoever.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (6)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (7)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (13)

The train is of course the more expensive way to travel but it’s so much faster and so much more comfortable.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (16)

Then there’s the amazing scenery you get on your way through the mountains and valleys that lead you to Machupicchu.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (20)

You go past rustic, picturesque villages and farms, with locals going about their daily business (some stop and wave as you zoom past) and of course, you get to do all of this with generous helpings of Pisco sours (and a meal too)!

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (21)

You also make a pit stop in the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo, to be exact) to pick up other passengers, stretch your legs and perhaps get a souvenir of two before carrying on to Aguas Calientes.

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (24)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (27)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (29)

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (28)

The train journey goes by so quickly (make sure you nab a window seat and set your camera on ‘sports mode’) and before long, you’re in Machupicchu!

The Journey Up To Machu Picchu Village - Aguas Calientes, Peru (32)

There’s not a great deal to do here (you have some bars and restaurants) so your hotel choice here is pretty important! I’ll tell you more about that in the next post (along with some other important details you need to know before you head up to Machu Picchu itself).

You May Also Like

11 comments

I love this! My husband and I leave for Italy tomorrow, but I’m already starting to plan our next trip! This might be a really strong contender!

HandLuggageOnly

Ah, you’re both going to love Italy (and Peru). Let us know if you need any tips! Always happy to help out 🤗

Lloyd & Yaya 😊

Did you guys like pisco sour? (What am I saying? I see Lloyd enjoying one). I’m not a big drinker but pisco sours are GOOD.

Really looking forward to the next part of this post because my mom is going to this place in June,so if you have tips on what to get online or just buy there, what to take with you, etc, I’d appreciate it 😀

HandLuggageOnly

Oh boy, the Pisco Sour was AMAZING! Haha! I think we drank them EVERY day. 🍸

Ahhhh, you’re mom is going to love it. We’d definitely recommend taking a very light raincoat of poncho just incase the rain hits. Also, make sure to take some fly repellant. They seemed to love us. We left Machu Picchu full of bites. Haha! 🦇

Lloyd & Yaya xx

It looks beautiful! Peru is on my soon-bucket list. That train looks pretty comfortable as well!

-Rachel @ Backcountry Petite

HandLuggageOnly

It really is incredible Rachel. You will love it. Let us know if you need any other advice or tips. Always happy to help 🤗

Lloyd & Yaya xx

Which train did you take to Aquas? VistaDome or the Expedition?
We are leaving for Cuzco next week – yipee!!!!

HandLuggageOnly

Hey Linda, ahhh – you’re going to have an amazing time. We took the VistaDome. hope that helps 🚂

Have an amazing trip!

Lloyd & Yaya xx

When we went three years ago, during the VistaDome ride back the train attendants staged a brief and very colorful show of dances of the indigenous Quechua people. They are very proud of their culture. In addition, we had a “fashion” show of high quality alpaca apparel made by Sol Peru. Beautiful pieces that were very affordable as compared to stateside prices. I bought a number of baby alpaca scarves to give as Christmas presents and a little something for myself, but now I wish I had purchased more! Your photos reflect the beauty of the train trip. We went up and back from Cuzco in one day, but I wish I had stayed a day in Aquas Caliente. There was a fun tourist vibe there (we went in late September).

HandLuggageOnly

Ahhh, we had the same show, too! It really was lovely wasn’t it. So glad you enjoyed the journey too. It really is something that’s very special. We can’t wait to visit again.

So glad you loved it, Kathy. 😘