My love for travelling started at an early age… and I remember the very first long-haul family vacation to Antigua! I particularly remember how much I loved the journey, the buckled seat belt that clicked in with ease… little pear flavoured sweets to suck, alleviating my “ear-popping” and views that took you away from the cloudy weather at home, to a blue sky where you could see right up into the deepest blue of the stratosphere! It was, and still is a magical experience!

I recall pressing my face against the airplane window for what felt like hours, until my parents organised a big surprise – they had kindly asked the captain if I could go and sit in the cockpit and the captain, once we were on our way, agreed! I sat in awe of all the “robotic” buttons, instruments and all the things the pilot was telling me about speed… he pointed out lots of other planes that seemed to be racing alongside us and let me shake his hand. You have no idea how lucky and excited I feel to have experienced that!

From that moment, I knew I wanted to be a pilot! It was to be my life dream but as fate would have it, I’m colour-blind and I found out that my colour-blindness prohibited me from ever reaching my goal. I still long to be a pilot… It’s a life ambition that has never truly gone away but I have now channelled my energy into things I can achieve and aspire towards – travelling!

Although I have never been able to be a pilot, I still have a romantic idea of being able to hop on a plane and being whisked to a place that seems so distant – but as I have grown older (which doesn’t necessarily come with maturity 🙂 ) I realise that my desire to travel has been about new experiences…

My experiences are very important to me, from the very exciting; like whale watching in Iceland, skiing in the Austrian Alps and heading to Maya Bay in Thailand to more subtle, but no less important, experience of being able to enjoy places like eating Moussaka In Samos, taking a small catamaran with my Mum in Barbados (while we were both scared senseless and literally being thrown all across the deck). These experiences were made by sharing…. with my loved ones & friends and it’s one of the primary reasons why I blog about travel, to share and learn though experience.

I have come to realise that each and every person is a traveller in their own unique way, we all take journeys, either; figuratively, symbolically or of course, literally and It doesn’t need to involve a flight… Travelling is ultimately about experience. I still want to be a pilot, don’t get me wrong, but now I truly appreciate and understand how important my experience of places truly makes me a traveller.

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (3)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (4)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (6)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (7)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (8)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (5)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (9)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (10)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (11)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (12)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (13)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (14)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (2)

Why I will always be a traveller… Lloyd Old School Travel Photos (1)

You May Also Like

21 comments

This is exactly how I feel about traveling! Because my Mum is working for an airline and I have realtives (&now friends) all over the place, I also travelled a lot throughout my whole life. And I share your opinion that the travelling part (the actual moving from one place to the next) is the best part! I’m sorry that you couldn’t become a pilot but you are still incredibly fortunate to be able to travel so much.

Also, I see that you’ve been to Iceland. I am planning a trip there next year. Do you have any tips? I have just found your blog on Blogloving, so if you already wrote something about Iceland and I’ve missed it, I’m sorry about that. Also I would apreaciate it very much if you’d check out my new blog at anyasunita.blogspot.com. Thanks! 🙂

Keep on moving forward! 🙂

Thanks Anya! I feel fortunate to be able to travel a lot too! 🙂

Done a few posts on Iceland already but got some more coming up soon! Check them out there – http://handluggageonly.co.uk/tag/iceland/

Thank you for articulating how many of us feel. I grew up in Alaska, and my childhood experiences shaped how I travel today and how I experience my day to day life.

HandLuggageOnly

Absolutely! And glad to be able to share my experiences with you and hear about yours too!

HandLuggageOnly

Absolutely! You’re so right!

Thank Selina! It’s been a while since that photo was taken. lol! 🙂

Thanks!!!! 🙂

HandLuggageOnly

And I absolutely agree with you!!! Thanks!!!

I never knew that colour blind people couldn’t become pilots! Well, now that I think about it, I guess it makes sense. It sucks, though, that because of it you had to pretty much give up your dream career. I loved reading this post and looking at all your vintage snaps of travelling with your friends and family! Such a lovely, nostalgic post!

HandLuggageOnly

Thanks! Really appreciate it and glad you like it!

What a fun post! The photos are wonderful. I especially like the one in Iceland – you look so handsome! 🙂 Yes, traveling is very important, it opens our eyes to the world and is an incredible learning experience. Now when are you guys coming to Oregon so my husband and I can tour you around???

HandLuggageOnly

Hahaha! You’re gonna give me a big head now. 🙂 (I’m gonna be showing this comment off to all my friends!)

And we wanna come to Oregon soon!!! We need to get this booked soon methinks! 🙂

FANTASTIC!

I think that the only reason that I am so obsessed with travel today is because my parents made it a top priority in our family when we were young. My brother and I always complained about going to the movies less or eating out less than our friends did, but for that reason I was on a plane to Germany before I was two months old, spent a spring break in Mexico, joined my family in the Dominican Republic, and have seen more of Europe than the United States (my home country).

And I have grown up into the exact same person! I watch other people sip their Starbucks, knowing that those 7 Euros will go towards yummy tapas in Spain 🙂

ExploresMore.com

HandLuggageOnly

I know what you mean – that stuff does rub off on you!

I love this. I didn’t have as much opportunity to travel growing up and I think that affected me in a similar way. I think the lack of experience made the ones I did have that much more memorable and shaped how I now feel about the world and everything in it. Reading HLO’s post help to kind of subdue the need to leave while I wait for my September departure date (backpacking for a year! hopefully longer!). Keep it up.

HandLuggageOnly

Thanks Kayti! Pleased you do. Can’t wait to hear about your trip though when you get started! You’ve got to update us constantly! 🙂

So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors.

Definitely!

Travelling is a wonderful experience. I can’t wait to go to more and more places in my future. It would be a dream for it to be my job one day.

Shannon // Sixth Skyline x

HandLuggageOnly

I can understand why! Travelling is both fun and rewarding!