Okay, so every year, especially when visiting family and friends, I love to make my (not so) famous indulgent fluffy gin and tonic waffles. Yes, you read that right… gin and tonic waffles. Somehow it has become my signature dish that I tend to rock out at most dinner parties, breakfast/brunch or special occasion. I have to admit that it’s most definitely gluttonous and certainly a treat that I
don’t really enjoy sharing 😉
As it’s that time of year when everyone gets together, I wanted to share my recipe that is IMHO a perfect addition to any get together – especially if you want to try something a little different.
Are Gin & Tonic Waffles Easy To Make?
Very easy and unbelievably quick! Fluffy griddle waffles are really easy to make and you shouldn’t spend longer that 12 minutes making a plate full! Yum! Preparation time should literally take no more than 5 minutes too! The hardest part will be waiting 20 minutes for your dough to rise. 🙂
I’ve started using some Irish, Shortcross Gin, that I discovered on our amazing trip to Dublin – it has a very clean and crisp flavour which goes perfectly with my recipe.
Preparation: What Will You need?
1 x small packet of active yeast (about 8-10grams) or 1/4 ounce.
3 x small tea cups of whole or semi-skimmed milk
1 x generous tea spoon of brown sugar
4 x small cups of sieved plain flour
4 x Eggs
1/2 x cup of melted (salted) butter
1 x teaspoon of Vanilla extract
1/2 x teaspoon of cinnamon
1 x pinch of nutmeg
2 x shot glasses of gin
1/5 x cup of tonic
1/2 x lemon
Method: How To Make Them Fast…
- After taking the 5 minutes of so to collect your ingredients – grab a large mixing bowl and whisk together your brown sugar, yeast, flour, spices.
- Once mixing the dry ingredients, grab your eggs and whisk them in a separate bowl alongside your active yeast packet.
- Melt your salted butter in a pan (or microwave)
- Pour all the ‘wet’ ingredients (butter, eggs etc) into the dry mix.
- Add in your vanilla extract, your shots of gin and tonic
- Once the mixture has risen, you are ready to griddle your waffles wait for the dough to rise for around 30 minutes or so
Once the mixture has risen, you are ready to griddle your waffles
- Grab yourself a griddle pan, or pancake maker and place a desired amount for one fluffy waffle
- Turn the heat up high, to ensure the outside of the waffle cooks quicker than the centre. We all want a gooey centre! 🙂
- Wait for a few short minutes for the base to turn a golden brown, then flip the waffle for a mere minute more. This will ensure that your waffle will be doughy and squidgy on the inside, while being a golden brown on the outside
- drizzle a little lemon mixed with caster sugar onto the pancakes themselves
Finish off with some fresh berries, syrup, cream or even a delicious gin and tonic!