For starters – very hard! Not impossible (far from actually) but still hard.

The trail itself is actually easy enough, it’s never so steep that you can’t handle it – what truly gets you is the fact that you’re in one of the highest altitudes in the world (even higher than Machu Picchu or Cusco) and the lack of oxygen in the air means you’re constantly struggling to catch your breath!

When you do get there though, the hike is totally worth it!

WATCH THE VIDEO

Click here to subscribe to our YouTube channel

What Is It Like To Hike Up To Peru's Amazing Rainbow Mountains? (2)

You definitely have to get a guide to do this hike. Our guides at Flashpacker Connect not only know the route and how to best handle it but they are there to handle any emergencies. They even carry oxygen with them, just in case you need this. Remember, you’re in one of the most unusual places in the world – expert knowledge is not to be discounted here!

*Sidebar – I made it about halfway before deciding to get a horse. The horse still doesn’t take you the entire way. For your safety, you have to get off to walk through the steeper bits and the long bit at the end. Lloyd and the other trekked the entire way!

You May Also Like

18 comments

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to get to Peru!

-Kirsten // http://www.porkandcookies.com

HandLuggageOnly

Peru is such a magical country! You’ll love it, Kirsten πŸ™‚

Lloyd & Yaya xx

How very cool! I didn’t know there were Rainbow Mountains…

-Greta

HandLuggageOnly

They’re beautiful aren’t they. Such a magical place! πŸ™‚

Lloyd & Yaya xx

So beautiful! They have similar mountains like these in China as well, unfortunately I have been to neither! Hopefully I will be able to visit soon as I live in Mexico and not too far away from Peru!

HandLuggageOnly

You’re right, there are similar ones in China, too. We’ve not been to those but we can vouch for how beautiful the mountains are in Peru 😍

Lloyd & Yaya xx

Wow. I didn’t even know this existed. Now I want to see it and hike it. This is beautiful!
jenstewie.wordpress.com

HandLuggageOnly

It really is a beautiful place, isn’t it, Jennifer. 🌈

Lloyd & Yaya 😘

I can’t wait to do this, I’m currently planning a trip for early next year to Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia, slowly over a few months. This looks tough but so beautiful, I just have to experience it!!

HandLuggageOnly

You’re going to love it, Reena – let us know if you need any tips for Peru – it’s such an incredible country!

Lloyd & Yaya 😘

Ahhh! I’m going to Peru and this is totally on my bucket list. I have issues with altitude so thanks for the heads up. Any advice on dealing with that? Or just go up slowly? Thanks!

Tam @ http://freshcoffeestains.com

HandLuggageOnly

Hey Tam – you’re goign to love Rainbow Mountain – it’s such a gorgeous place, the trek is hard (mainly due to the altitude) so take it slow and easy (with a guide). We also took a drug called, Acetazolamide (brand name, Diamox) – this was given to us by our doctor. As always, check with them before taking this, they will know if it is safe for you to take.

If you need any other advice, do ask – always happy to help!

Lloyd & Yaya 😘

Wow! Such and amazing place!

HandLuggageOnly

it really is beautiful isn’t it! We loved the whole region. 🌈

Lloyd & Yaya 😘

So pretty!

HandLuggageOnly

Peru is an incredible country isn’t it! πŸ™‚

Lloyd & Yaya xx

Thank you for this awesome post and for answering my question about the trek below! Such great advice πŸ™‚ I went with a 2-day tour instead in the end. With mine, we didn’t see any other people. We also didn’t have to wake up at 3:30 a.m. and enjoyed a very leisurely stroll. Hiking around and at Rainbow Mountain was one of my favorite memories on my trip. Hope you don’t mind but I used your blog link on my own about Rainbow Mountain πŸ™‚ Thanks again for the great advice!!

Tam @ http://freshcoffeestains.com/rainbow-mountain/

HandLuggageOnly

Hi Tam, This is so lovely! We’re so happy you had an amazing time… it really is special isn’t it!

Loved your blog post. So glad you loved your trip. 😘

big hugs, Lloyd & Yaya xx